I am just a normal person, but after spending a lot of time searching for product reviews online, I realized there aren't enough reviews from people who actually use products in their daily lives. I decided I would make reviews that I hope are helpful to others who are searching. Feel free to leave comments, but please make sure they are useful, and don't flame other people's comments. To see how I rate each product I will review, please see Rating Breakdown.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

lafuma Trek Jr. Kids Sleeping Bag

The Good: The lafuma Trek Jr. is a warm bag for children who are ready to enjoy camping. It is a quality bag rated for temperatures as low as 30 degrees.

The Bad: The head opening is too small for a normal size pillow (not really bad, but the only thing that comes close).

Rating:
  • Overall Experience: 10
  • Features: 10
  • User-Friendliness: 10
  • Style: 10
  • Quality: 10
  • Value: 10
  • Total: 10
To see how I rate each category please click Rating Breakdown

In the Box:

Children's Sleeping Bag
Stuff Sack
Warranty Card








Overview: When we decided camping could be a fun family activity, we also decided that the best way to make it fun would be to have good gear that would keep us comfortable, warm, and dry. Most important was keeping our kids warm. We considered the idea of using the sleepover type of bag and supplementing it with blankets, but in the end decided that we'd rather be over-prepared. We can always zip the bag open a little if it turns out to be a warm night. I was glad I decided on the mummy bag. My almost 3 year old wiggled out of this one a little so I can only imagine what would have happened with a lightweight sleeping bag. He probably would have been at the far end of the tent and freezing.

Overall Experience: This mummy bag is certainly worth every penny. It is compact and a good size for kids. It kept my son warm...except for the hand that he pulled out of the bag, but I can't blame the bag for that. He was really excited to have his own sleeping bag, so I guess that's a bonus. I had absolutely no complaints about this bag, hence the perfect rating.

Features: The one feature that stands out on this bag is so simple it seems obvious, but I don't think all bags have it; the Velcro flap over the zipper. It is just at the top to cover the zipper when the bag is closed. I just think it's a simple, but great way to ensure that the child inside doesn't kick open the bag and freeze the rest of the night. It worked great. As I said, my son got his hand out, but he's a pretty wiggly sleeper, so it was nice that the bag kept him relatively contained. The head cover is too small for a standard pillow, but that is simply because it is a child's bag, and the head cover needs to wrap around the head. It didn't lose any points for this, I just mention it so you can make sure you have a smaller pillow if you get this bag.

User-Friendliness: This is one thing that actually surprised me about this sleeping bag. Seeing how small the stuff sack is and how "big" the bag is brought back flashbacks of my youth and trying to shove a mummy bag into a sack that just didn't seem big enough. What surprised me was how easy it actually was to pack the bag. If you fold it in half and roll it up tight it will slide right into the stuff sack without a problem. My wife and I both did it easily. I was very happy about that. I don't want to wrestle with the sleeping bag every time we go camping.

Style: I really like the color scheme of these bags. I also saw a red and black version that looked just as good. I suppose style doesn't keep you warm, but the bag looks really nice. There are plenty of plain solid color mummy bags, so this one seems like a nice, fresh design.

Quality: After getting up close to inspect this bag I was immediately impressed by the quality. The materials are excellent and the stitching is very well done.There are no loose strings and the zipper is thick and durable. My impression is that this bag is going to hold up through a lot of use and for many years.

Value: I purchased this bag for $30. I think MSRP is $39, so it was a little bit of a discount. At $30 it's $10-15 more than a slumber party bag. If you plan on camping in even semi-cold conditions I would say it's worth it. I don't know that you'd find a bag much cheaper that is such high quality and rated to a relatively low temperature.

Final Thoughts: I am very pleased with this sleeping bag. I was a little hesitant to pay more money rather than just piling up blankets, but I am much more satisfied knowing that my son won't easily kick off his sleeping bag. I would (and probably will when my next son is older) buy this bag again. It is well worth the money.

No comments: